Trailer towing regs in the EEC.

Interesting info from this document.
http://outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/doc/TowbalWeightandStabilitySTA.pdf

the EEC trailer towing regulations limit car-licence drivers to 750kg trailers, with or without brakes. To tow a trailer weighing 750kg up to 1750kg requires two days of driver training and an upgraded licence test. Towing trailers that weigh more than 1750kg requires a truck licence.

European police regularly spot-check trailers for roadworthiness, gross mass violations and excess towball loading. All cars or 4x4s towing trailers above 80km/h, up to a maximum of 100km/h in Germany, must have a friction-type coupling to reduce the likelihood of trailer sway.

In Europe, override brakes dominate and driver-controlled electric trailer brakes aren?t permitted in the EEC.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fab72 - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 12:41

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 12:41
I just completed a two day (20 hour) theory course last weekend in readiness to get my HC Licence (Semi).

I must admit that I was surprised by the fact that on a car licence, the Gross Combined Vehicle Mass of Towing unit (eg: car) and trailer, plus load cannot exceed 4500kgs here in SA.

In other words, driving a Cruiser with a car trailer, and a car on the back makes you at risk of scoring a nice fine for inappropriate licence. To tow this combination, you need as a minimum a HR licence.

Bet not too many people know that.

Also to add confussion, there are differences between states regarding load sizes/weights and licencing.
AnswerID: 413628

Follow Up By: Lex M (Brisbane) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 13:04

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 13:04
Are you sure about that.
Queensland regs say:-

"a motor vehicle of not more than 4.5 t GVM, built or fitted to carry a maximum of 12 passengers including the driver, with or without a trailer "

and the SA regs say:-

"Any motor vehicle with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) not greater than 4.5 tonnes but does not include a bus, motorcycle or trike. The motor vehicle may tow a single trailer, subject to the combination mass limits fixed under the Road Traffic Act 1961. "
FollowupID: 683733

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 19:50

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 19:50
Isn't that what I said?

In other words, you can drive a car and tow a trailer providing that the total weight of the car, trailer, occupants and trailer load does not exceed 4.5 tonnes.

Am I missing something?
FollowupID: 683799

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 20:36

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 20:36
if I was to play at legalise I would say that the SA regs state the GVM of the towing vehicle could be up to 4.5 tonnes and you are then allowed to drag a trailer providing the GCM is under the limit of the regs which are not shown in your example.
there is a difference between GVM and GCM
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 683811

Follow Up By: Mogul - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 20:36

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 20:36
Car / 4WD cannot weigh more than 4.5t. You can still add a trailer up to CGVM specified by the vehicle maker.
FollowupID: 683812

Sponsored Links